Monday, January 30, 2012

2012 Week 5 Progress

I only completed two blocks yesterday.  I have some medical tests coming up tomorrow, and surgery next week.  That was weighing on my mind, so my mind wasn't in to the block making.  I can normally press through all of the thoughts, and clear my mind, and just sew, but yesterday was a struggle.  

On block one, I had positioned items wrong, and had to rip the browns off of the yellow, and re-stitch them.  As I was re-stitching, I realized that I had mistakes in the brown rows themselves -- there are two short browns and two long browns, which are supposed to be opposite each other, I have mine on the same sides (two long browns on bottom, and two short browns on top -- not that you'd have ever noticed if I didn't tell you, mind you!).  

So, rather than make (more!) mistakes, I gathered up all of my sewing items, closed my machine and was satisfied with completing two blocks. 

Here they are in their glory: 



All worry aside, so far this year I have managed to sew some each week thus, keeping my resolution for 2012.  That is a bright spot. 


This week I'm 'closing' the restaurant.  That means I won't get home before 11:00 p.m. each night (Monday through Thursday) -- after leaving the house around 6:15 a.m. to get to my other job by 6:30 a.m.  I have been running the idea through my head (over and over and over) that maybe I can cut the pieces for the next block(s), as I am unwinding after the close.  Even though I get up early, and finish work late, there is that period where I am still too awake to go to bed -- where I'd just toss and turn and be miserable -- cutting might be a good idea.  The next several blocks are very scrappy with pieces finishing about 1/4 inch wide, so there's a lot of cutting to be done.  [As you may be able to tell from the black/white line drawings, the blocks in this section are getting more scrappy as we go along.]


Here's a peek: 




4 comments:

marcella said...

Wow, those are some neat and complicated blocks! What a fun challenge to make. Hope your cutting schedule works out for you and your medical issues are resolved.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are great blocks! hope your tests go well, and you can stop thinking of them ;-)

Gari in AL said...

Wow, those blocks look complicated. Where do they come fron? I don't know about late night cutting. That's when I would really make mistakes. But I do remember that "unable to sleep" time after getting home late. Good luck with your tests and surgery.

Ida from Central PA said...

Gari -

The patterns can be ordered from Ann Holte Quilting at: http://www.annholtequilting.com/

There are 12 sets of blocks to order, and the 13th set (the half/quarter diamond outer border) is a 'freebie' when you order the 12 sets.

Ida